Saturday, February 20, 2010

My 6-Year Old is My Favorite Superhero

A few months ago, my son, Elliott (aka Mad Owl) began a collection jar to fund a trip to Disney World. He saw a commercial for a vacation package and thought, "I'd better start saving!" So, he found an old mason jar, slapped a hand-drawn sticker on it and began soliciting for donations from friends, family members, our family hair-stylist, the guys at the burrito shop and unwitting passersby. "I'm going to Disney World. Would you like to give me some money?" His tenacity was admirable and inspiring.

Unbeknown
to our son, my partner, Jennifer and I discussed our options and decided that a vacation was in order but before we could announce the news, his plans had changed. His tactics had changed and the Disney sticker was gone, replaced with a new one. Scrawled out in red marker by his geniously guided southpaw it read, "Money for Children's Hospital".

"I was thinking about the kids we visited in the hospital, last year." he recalled our trip to St. Mary's Children's Hospital, in New York. We brought gifts and played with the kids for an afternoon. "I want to do that, again."

So, the Mad Owl is on a mission. He wants to help "all kids who need it", he humbly stated one recent afternoon, as he counted the funds in his collection jar. This means I must help and guide him through the process but more importantly my job is to support his choices. And why not? It's pretty obvious he makes good ones. He's a superhero, after all.

Now, the challenge becomes, "How do we give?"

We some quick internet investigation, and discovered Hasbro Children's Hospital has a couple ways to donate. The first way to give is through a simple form on their website. It even includes a space to specify how you want them to use the money. Awesome! The second way is to purchase gifts for the kids and they provide a fantastic "Wish List" to guide you. Double awesome!! Plus, it's right in our local, Southern New England neighborhood.

He decided that this would be a great way to start our mission to bring a little sunshine to the lives of children in need and chose to donate the money with the request that it goes toward research. If you want to help our young hero in his mission, please email me at civitronx@gmail.com for instructions or visit www.lifespan.org/hch for more information on Hasbro's Children's Hospital and ways you can get involved.

No comments: