Monday, September 6, 2010

First Days

Tomorrow is my son's first day at 2nd grade. He'll have a new classroom but the same teacher and most of his classmates will join him but he's nervous. It's not a fear of the unknown. I think he kind of loves that. Instead, it's a fear of reoccurring challenges. Awkward social situations, kids taking advantage of his sweetness, teachers not trusting him and not provided the patience and attention that he needs.

I'm not saying my son's any different from any other child. I'm saying my son is a genius. He's creative and playful, independent yet cuddly, he's a born leader but willing to follow a cute girl or an adventurous boy. He want's to explore the world and get his hands dirty, while keeping the hand sanitizer nearby. He's just like every other kid and he's amazing!

Last year's school year was trying. He'd come home with stories of kids telling on him for stuff he "didn't do" and we'd have meetings with the teacher. She seemed to enjoy having him in the class but he needs to cut down on the noises and sit still, of course. (I've got so much to say about that, by the way but it will have to wait for another entry.) He received poor marks in conduct and effort but scored stellar in academics. How did that happen? How did he not try to get amazing grades? For real?

The longer I'm a father, the more I understand the importance of being involved in your kids life. I mean, this isn't news! I don't mean smother the kid. I'm a firm believer that kids are like cakes. The more noise you make, the more you mess with them, the more warped it's gonna come out. I say put the good ingredients in them, stir out the lumps, set the temperature and let them be... but stay involved.

Tonight, we finished up our summer reading project. We made a mobile about dragons. It's awesome! Then, we talked about the first day of school. As we talked and he didn't want me to offer any advice or even comfort him, it was clear that this kid was going to deal with this on his own. Did he learn this from watching me? By 6-years old, (he's now 7) they are they're own person but they are looking to you for the example. I need to provide a better example. Maybe I need to work with other people to help me through my stuff? Maybe I just need to let him know that he has a community he can turn to in time of need, whatever that need may be.

If you're a parent, you want whats best for your kids. You want life to be easy and you want the world to open up before him/her. We just can't force it on them. They'll find their place in the world. Maybe they'll let us hold the door open for them but meanwhile, parents, just be patient.

No comments: