Monday, August 22, 2011

Who is Civitron?

Originally a New Bedford native, I actually began my career as a masked adventurer in 2005, patrolling the hidden paths and back alleyways of Salem, MA. I had the great pleasure of becoming a father in the two years prior and felt motivated more than ever to help make the world a safer place. I sought to become the change I wanted to see in the world and be a role model for my son. Formerly a soldier in the Army National Guard and an ongoing student of Praying Mantis Kung Fu, I now work in with “at risk” youth and autistic adults in the human services field.

Since establishing myself in the ranks of what the media now refers to as “the real-life superhero movement”, I have had the opportunity to work with many costumed heroes such as Zetaman (a master of compassion and love for those in need), Dark Guardian (crime fighter with a heart of gold), Nyx, Phantom Zero and the Black Ghost (an inspirational hero rallying against youth violence in New Orleans) just to name a few, as well as inspire an entire league of new heroes such as Radiance, Green Sage, Kismet, Text, Miss Fortunate, Poseidon, Ladytron and even my own son, the Mad Owl. I have hosted mask-making workshops with Habitat for Homeless Children, AS220, Rise and the Providence Roller Derby to help kids discover their inner superhero. I spent three years working with Superheroes Anonymous to coordinate annual conferences in Massachusetts, New Orleans, LA and Portland, OR. I have travelled across the country to help those in need, building houses with Habitat for Humanity, patrolling with the Guardian Angels and fundraising with Project Bread and hosting food drives for local food pantries.

Today, I am back in my hometown, building upon my experience and working with my partner to teach our son how to to be a good person. I am making an effort to distance myself from the RLSH community I helped build to focus on exploring the neighborhoods and hidden wonders of my city, building and riding bicycles, volunteering locally and writing about my adventures. With the help of my friends and the support of my family, I hope to soon unveil a new series of art-based projects and events focused on actualizing the super-heroic potential and telling the story of my neighbors in what some call the “Secret City”.

Perhaps it’s unnecessary but I feel this is important to note – While I still maintain the Civitron persona, I no longer consider myself a member of the “RLSH community”. I’m not sure what I would prefer to be called – Dad/Geek/Artist/Urban Adventurer/Costumed Activist/Extreme Altruist/SCUL Pilot. I am all of these things and so much more. I am Civitron. I still aim to do good in the world and through my current projects (involves equal parts journalism, urban art, culture hacking and guerilla marketing) I hope to promote the ideas and ideals of heroism and actualizing ones own very real “super powers” to help make the world a better place. These ideas, after all, are everything I humbly wish to stand for.

I am not a hero… but everyday in ways big and small, I strive to be one.

No comments: